Key Points To Remeber Before Your Get Started:
1. Small scratches and nicks in the vinyl can occur. These small imperfections can be buffed out with a fine buffing compound suitable for vinyl surfaces.
2. Water can enter into the sill area of several different styles of windows. These windows are designed to capture this water before it enters your home and drain it to the outside. The presence of water in the sill of the window does not indicate a problem unless it has overflowed the window sill and into your interior sill or wall. If this has happened, check to make sure there is no debris in the window sill preventing water to drain through the drainage holes.
3. Condensation is often a result of high humidity in the home. If you have found condensation on your window or patio door, you must take steps to reduce the humidity level in your home by either adding a dehumidifier or using a kitchen exhaust fan to remove water vapors from cooking.
Follow These 8 Steps for Proper Care and Maintenance:
Maintenance of your window or patio door is important to keep it operating at its full potential. Here are some important steps to take throughout the year to keep your windows and doors looking beautiful.
1. Keep sill track clean of dirt and debris so water can flow freely to outside.
2. Keep all weep holes free of obstructions so water can flow freely to outside.
3. Inspect exterior caulking regularly and replace when necessary.
4. Clean and check operation of hardware and weather-stripping regularly and repair if necessary.
5. Keep weatherstrip clean of dirt and grit for proper seal. Wash with mild soap and water, rinse with water and wipe dry. Apply a light coat of wax (Lemon Pledge®) and wipe off excess.
6. Determine the source of any moisture that you see around your windows or doors and stop its entry and accumulation.
7. Immediately dry out any areas around your windows or doors that you observe are wet (immediate action is necessary to mitigate any damage to your home). The use of a dehumidifier, fan, or any warm air source will help dry out affected area.
8. Maintain relative humidity at moderate levels.
Tips For Cleaning Vinyl Finish:
1. To clean, wash with mild soap and water. Heavy dirt and stains may require stronger cleaning compounds such as a vinyl siding cleaner. The surface can be wiped down with solvents such as turpentine, naphtha, nail polish remover (acetone) and alcohol. CAUTION: as some cleaners may mar or scratch vinyl.
2. Abrasive cleaners will scratch the surface and are not recommended.
Tips For Cleaning Hardware:
1. Much like sterling silver even the finest brass will react naturally to the elements surrounding it. To maintain, polish with a nonabrasive automotive or furniture wax. By keeping your hardware cleaned and maintained you will be rewarded with a long-lasting finish.
2. Tighten screws when necessary.
3. Lightly oil as needed. Wipe off excess.
CAUTION: DO NOT USE paint thinners, lacquer thinner, gasoline, kerosene or any other harsh chemical to clean surfaces or hardware.